Sunday, February 16, 2014

Workouts of the Week

Heyoooo, I hope you're having a good weekend! On Friday night, Dave and I picked up a TON of delicious Chinese food and some snacks/candy, and ate it while we watched the first two episodes of Season 2 of House of Cards.  Anyone else watching that show? I'm not hooked on it (like I was with Orange Is the New Black), but it's a perfectly lovely way for me to spend a Valentine's evening with my gentleman.

Yesterday I started off my day with a trip to the gym, followed by a lunch with some blogging buddies (Stephanie, Alison, Jayne, Amy and Jen). Lunch was a great time, and I was really glad to have started my day with a workout. It feels good to be going back to the gym more regularly the last few weeks. I feel stronger already!

Here's a quick instagram pic I shared of the French braid I rocked to the gym on Friday...
French braids remind me of being a kid.
ANIMAL PRINT WORKOUT TANKS REMIND ME I'M A WOMAN.

French braid and workout clothes
.  #BraidSelfie  .

These are the workouts I did at the gym this past week - and feel free to click on any of the exercises to view a video demo:

2/9 (cardio with a little bit of legs and a little upper back)
35 mins biking (8+ miles)
3x:
  - 15 deadlifts, 15 lbs each hand
  - 40 calf raises, 15 lbs each hand
12 lat pulldowns, 40 lbs
12 lat pulldowns, 50 lbs

2/11 (upper body and core)
5 mins biking
15 chest press on exercise ball, 12.5 lbs each hand
30 v-sit twist holding 12.5 lbs
15 bent over rows each arm, holding 12.5 lbs
30 Russian get ups, holding 5 lbs
15 Arnold press, 10 lbs each hand
15 close grip chest press, 12.5 lbs each hand
15 deltoid flys (+ 5 more on left arm), 5 lbs each hand
1:00 plank
15 deltoid raises (+ 5 more on left arm), 5 lbs each hand
30 cobras
15 lat pulldowns, 40 lbs
15 lat pulldowns, 50 lbs
15 lat pulldowns, 60 lbs

2/14 (lower body and core)
5 mins elliptical
15 squats, 25 lbs
1:00 plank
30 side lunges + plyometric pushoff (each side)
1:00 plank
60 bridges + 60 heat wave
1:00 plank
40 calf raises, 12.5 lbs each hand
1:00 plank
1:00 plank
15 deadlifts, 12.5 lbs each hand
1:00 plank
12 lat pulldowns, 30 lbs
12 lat pulldowns, 40 lbs
12 lat pulldowns, 50 lbs

2/15 (cardio with a little legs)
30 mins biking, 7.3 miles
15 squats, holding 20 lbs

This week I asked Twitter for a favorite upper body move and Jenn clued me in to the Arnold press, which I'd never heard of before. It sounds intimidating because of the name, but the Arnold press is not much more than adding a little wrist rotation to a regular shoulder press. Click the linked demo above to see it! I added this move to one of my workouts this past week. Thanks again Jenn!

Do you have a favorite exercise move? 

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
PINTEREST
Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. aw! you're welcome Lol glad you found it meaningful enough to incorporate into your workout! i think it adds just the right amount of difficulty to the standard press
    and HURRAY FOR HOUSE OF CARDS! I'm currently watching the 2nd epi of the 2nd season. i coudln't believe what happened in the first!!!!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I like the twist to the regular press! And OMG I couldn't beliiiiieve what happened in episode 1!!!

      Delete
  2. You just inspired me to work out. I've been feeling really unmotivated this morning so that's quite a feat! Your braid is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!